Sunday, January 17, 2010

Let The Record Show

I check the news every few hours and continue to see reports on the devistation in Haiti following last week's catastrophic earthquake. I see the destruction, I see the tears, the dead bodies, the survivors surviving. The sad truth is that we have seen these reports play out again and again as natural and manmade disasters have struck the world. But there is something different about what I see this time. I see people from all over the world coming to the aid of a country full of people who look like me, my grandfather, and my aunti n nim. I see NASCAR donating millions to help brown people in trouble. I see a white man overcome with grief at the news that another black child has died. I see the president of these United States say to Haiti "you will not be forsaken...you will not be forgotten". HAITI?!?!?!

Once upon a time not so long ago it would have been politically correct to say Fuck Haiti. Now I look at the number of donations from ordinary Americans to this impoverished nation hit tens of millions of dollars and I ask myself... Is it possible that this is becoming a kinder gentler nation? It is possible that we are moving towards becoming a nation where a black man can get help for himself and his family when they are in need just because they are human beings and in need? Could it be that this country is beginning to see black people as people? Even Haitians????

Of course you still have the glutonous porcine carnivores who are not satisfied with their millions of dollars and their celebrity status among the barbaric, myopic hate junkies who hang on their every word and who will not be satisfied until they have THEIR America back. You know the ones who spew their acrimonious rhetoric and lament about the wonderful days of old when niggers knew there places and there was nothing that a white man wasn't entitled to on the strength of being white and male. But I don't concern myself with them so much. They themselves know better than anyone else that they are a dying breed and their reign of terror and ferocious malevolence will soon end. In my opinion the only real point to their gnashing of teeth and obtrusive anguish is so that the record of American history will show that they went out kicking and screaming.

So let the record show that the Rush Limbaughs, Glen Becks, Bill O'Reillys, Pat Buchanans and Joe Wilsons of the world were opposed to the kinder gentler nation that appears to be emerging despite this country's troubled past and history of injustice. Let it state that they fought hard to perserve hatred and bigotry. Let it state that they dedicated their lives to hate mongering and reprehensible self righteousness. And 100 years from now they will be remembered. Not fondly, not with high esteem, but remembered non the less. And so it is. And so it will be.

No comments: