Monday, November 24, 2008

Lean Not To Thy Own Understanding

Human beings have a habit of trying to make sense of the things that happen in this world. The things that don't match with our idea of what the world is or what our own lives are. We are so quick to think we’ve figured out the formula. If I do this and this and this I will acquire things that will make me happy. If I do this and this and this people will love and respect me. And when things don’t go as we’ve planned, according the formula that we were so sure that we figured out we spend time asking ourselves WHY?

Perhaps it’s because we still don’t fully submit ourselves to the fact that God and God alone is in charge of this universe. This world. The best thing that we can do is seek Him out and get in sync with Him and His will. The things that our minds can conceive of based on what we have seen with our eyes and heard with our ears are so minuscule in the vastness of what the Creator is capable of. Sometimes I wonder why it’s so easy for us to forget how vast the universe is and how small we are comparatively. There is so much that we don’t know about the things we do know about why do we think we know anything about the things we don’t know about.

These days I find myself reminding myself that God has a much better handle on this thing than I do. So I pray that His will be done as a way to remind myself of that fact. I will remind myself that I am His child and I will know that I am already protected. I will know that my path is laid out for me and that my future is secure. My child’s future and his children’s future as well. I will be still and know.

No comments: